Hydrant Use Permits
The City of St. Louis Water Division issues a special permit for the use of a fire hydrant to obtain water
The City of St. Louis Water Division issues a special permit for the use of a fire hydrant to obtain water. The Water Division will furnish the permit holder with a key, reducer, meter, and backflow preventer. This is the only equipment permitted for use on a City fire hydrant. Any other equipment found in use will be confiscated; this does not include fittings. The permit is non-transferrable and must be kept with the equipment at all times.
In order to obtain a hydrant use permit, the City of St. Louis Water Division must receive a written request on company letterhead at least 24 hours in advance of picking up the equipment.
What To Include In Your Request
In your written request, please include the following information:
- What size meter -- The City of St. Louis Water Division offers two different size meters for use on City fire hydrants. If using a fire hose to obtain water, please request a 3" meter. For use with a garden hose, please request a 1" meter.
- Date you want to pick up equipment.
- Length of time you need the meter -- A permit to use a fire hydrant cannot exceed 6 months. If the equipment is needed for longer than 6 months, the permit holder will submit another written request, and the permit may be extended for another 6 months.
- Location of the fire hydrant you would like to use.
- What you are using the water for.
- Who is responsible for the equipment -- Please include the Company name, Address, City, State, Zip Code, Phone Number, and Contact person.
Where To Send Your Request
You may fax, mail, or hand-deliver your request to:
City of St. Louis Water Division
4600 McRee Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63110
Phone: (314) 633-9029
Fax Number: (314) 664-4074
When you come to pick up your equipment please have a check made out to the City of St. Louis Water Division for the deposit.
The following charges are merely guidelines, and actual deposits could be larger.
1" Meter (Garden Hose)
- Deposit: $700.00 deposit required at time of pick-up
- $50.00 one-time meter testing fee
- $5.00 daily equipment fee
- $1.77 per 100 cubic feet water
3" Meter (Fire Hose)
- Deposit: $1000.00 deposit required at time of pick-up
- $120.00 one-time meter testing fee
- $15.00 daily equipment fee
- $1.77 per 100 cubic feet water
Meter must be read each month.
The meter will be read on the 1st or 2nd working day of each month by Water Division personnel. A $50.00 fee will be billed for each meter read monthly. The meter will be read at the job site stated on the Rental Application.
If the meter is not at this location, call the Water Division at (314) 633-9061 by the last working day of each month and notify Meter and Tap of the meter location.
If the meter is not on location or notification was not made, a $50.00 fee will still be billed and a $100.00 penalty fee will be imposed for each monthly late meter read. The meter MUST be read by the 5th of each month or the application will be revoked.
What to ExpectThe Water Division will furnish the permit holder with a key, reducer, meter, and backflow preventer.
1640 S. Kingshighway
St. Louis, Mo 63110
Monday - Friday 8 AM - 5 PM