Land Records Document Requirements
Documents received in this department must adhere to guidelines as outlined in Missouri State Statutes
Deed Recording and Fee Requirements
Standard Page Format Requirements
- 8.5" x 11" white or light colored paper, not less than 20 lb. weight.
- No watermarks or visible inclusions.
- No permanently bound or in continuous form.
- No stapling or affixing of Attachments to any page except as necessary to comply with statutes.
- Black or Dark Blue Ink not less than 8 point type.
- Printing on only one side of each page.
- First Page: 3-Inch Blank Top Margin: 3-Inches of vertical space from left to right that is void of any text, writing, graphic.
- First Page: Bottom Margin and Side Margins shall be ¾" to 1".
- Additional Pages- Top, Bottom, Side Margins shall be ¾" to 1".
Exceptions to Page Format Requirements
- Documents signed prior to January 1, 2002.
- Document executed outside United States.
- Document where one of original parties is deceased/incapacitated.
- Judgments or other documents formatted to meet court requirements.
- Uniform Commercial Code recordings.
- Federal and State Tax Liens and their Lien Releases.
First Page Recording Requirements
- Affected property must be located in City of St. Louis.
- Title/Type of document (such as General Warranty Deed, Quit Claim Deed) must be stated in the heading.
- Origination Date of document must be stated (such as "made on this 4th day of July, 2002").
- The Legal Names of All Grantors and All Grantees must be stated.
- The Mailing Address for Each Grantor must be stated.
- The Mailing Address for At Least One Grantee must be stated.
- Legal Description of Property must be correct, complete and include City Block Number + Lot Number.
- When a document refers to any previously recorded document, the new document must state the Book and Page Numbers or Date and Daily Numbers of the cited previous document.
- If insufficient space on the First Page for all aforementioned information, the First Page must include a citation for the Page Reference within the document, or the Exhibit or Attachment to the document, where the required information is provided.
Miscellaneous Recording Requirements
- Release for a Deed of Trust Recorded Before 1986: Must be accompanied by original Note and Deed of Trust.
- Certificate of Value Required (Chapter 5.70 St. Louis City Revised Code). Contact St. Louis City Assessor at 314.622.3212.
Recording Fees – Payment Due In Advance of Services
Payment for Walk-In Service: No Personal Checks. Pay with Cash, Money Order, or Business Check.
Payment for Mail-In Service: Pay with Check or Money Order only.
Standard Deed: $23 First Page + $5 Each Additional Page. NonStandard Deed: $48 First Page + $5 Each Additional Page. Include Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope for return of Original.
Standard Assignment: $23 First Item + $7.50 Each Additional Item NonStandard Assignment: $48 First Item + $7.50 Each Additional Item Include Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope for return of Original.
Standard Margin Release: $21 First Item + $7.50 Each Additional Item NonStandard Margin Release: $46 First Item + $7.50 Each Additional Item Include Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope for return of Original.
Plat, Survey of One Tract of Land - Recording Without Drawing, One Sheet Not to Exceed 24” x 18”: $18.25 for One Sheet Include Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope for return of Original.
Plat, Survey of a Subdivision, Outlots, Condominiums – Recording of Drawings and Calculations, Each Sheet Not to Exceed 24” x 18”: $57.00 per Page of Drawings/Calculations + $10 Each Additional Page Include Self-Addressed-Stamped-Envelope for return of Original.
Notarized Signatures Requirements
- All Parties to document both Grantor and Grantee Must Have Their Notarized Signatures on document (Chapter 15.152.030 St. Louis City Revised Code).
- Full Legal Names must be used.
- Deeds of Trust and Easements exempt from Grantee signature requirement.
- Under each Signature, the party's Name Must be Legibly Typed or
- Printed sufficient for microfilming/scanning and reproduction of a legible copy.
- Signature and typed/printed name must be same full legal name.
- The Notary Seal or Stamp Must Be in Black Ink.
- The Notary Seal or Stamp Must Be Imprinted Under the Notary's
- The Notary's "Commission Expiration Date" Must Be Clearly
Imprinted on the document from the Notary Seal or Stamp.
- Signature and must be legible sufficient for microfilming/scanning and reproduction of a legible copy. It must read, as example:
State of Missouri Notary Commission Number (if applicable)