Terminate a Domestic Partnership
Instructions to file for termination of a domestic partnership
The Domestic Partnership Registry is a record of registered domestic partners (same-sex or heterosexual) in the city of St. Louis. The registry allows persons in a committed relationship who meet the criteria set forth in Ordinance No. 64401 to register at the Office of the City Register and obtain a certificate attesting their status.
To terminate a domestic partnership, follow the instructions below.
A City of St. Louis domestic partnership shall terminate:
- at the death of one of the partners
- upon one or both partners moving away from the city
- upon the filing of a termination statement with the city register.
The termination statement must declare that the domestic partnership has ended AND
- include the signatures of both partners
- state that the other domestic partner has been notified of such termination by registered mail, return receipt requested.
- Prepare a written statement declaring that the domestic partnership has ended. Include the full names of both partners.
- One or both partners must visit the Office of the City Register in person to deliver the written statement.
- If one partner is not available, the other partner may visit by themselves, but they must show proof that the other domestic partner has been notified of the partnership termination by registered mail, return receipt requested.
What to Expect
Your domestic partnership will be terminated immediately upon receipt of your written statement in the office. You can request a receipt of the termination or proof of your visit to the Office of the Registrar.