Dutchtown general boundaries are defined as Chippewa St. on the North, southward to Piedmont Ave., westward to Meramec St southward to S. Compton on the East, westward to Eichelberger St. northward to Virginia Ave., westward to Walsh St. on the South, northward to Gustine Terrace on the West to Chippewa St.
Originally settled by German immigrants at the beginning of the twentieth century, Dutchtown still retains its strong German identity. As originally surveyed, a portion of present-day Dutchtown, south of Chippewa to Bates Street, was a part of the Commonfield of Carondelet. The City annexed this area in 1870. In 1875, it was still rural in character, but development was heavy north of Chippewa and east of Jefferson.