Demolition Contractor Business

Overview, preparation and instructions to apply for a Demolition Contractor Business


Your business requires a Graduated Business License (GBL).

If you still have questions about your business type, please contact our office at 314-622-4528 to find out the appropriate steps that you will need to follow to obtain a business license for the City of St. Louis.



Step 1: Obtain State Sales Tax Number

If you are selling a product you must register with the State of Missouri for a State Sales Tax Number and obtain this number before visiting City Hall.

or by mail:
Missouri Department of Revenue
P.O. Box 3300
Jefferson City, MO 65105
(573) 751-3505

If you are not selling a product, proceed to step 2.

Step 2: Complete GBL form and visit our office

Visit the License Collector’s office in Room 104 of City Hall in person. For your convenience, you may download the Construction Contractor Graduated Business License application and fill it out in advance.

Bring a copy of your current State Drivers' License.

All general contractors are required to furnish a list of the sub-contractors on any job to the License Collector.

Step 3: Obtain Statement of Clearance

In addition to visiting the License Collector’s office, you will also need to obtain a clearance from the Collector of Revenue’s office at the location below:

City Hall Room 410
1200 Market St.
St. Louis, MO 63103
(314) 622-3291

St. Louis City Ordinance 63454
St. Louis City Revised Code Chapter 8.02.010 - Statement of Clearance requirement

Step 4: Obtain Occupancy Permit

You must also obtain an Occupancy Permit from the Building Division at the location below:

Building Division
Department of Public Safety
City Hall Room 425
1200 Market St.
St. Louis, MO 63103
(314) 622-3313

Step 5: Show Proof of Workers' Compensation Coverage

Bring proof of Workers' Compensation coverage with you or you will be asked to sign a statement stating that you have Workers' Compensation coverage or that you are not required by law to have it. View a list of businesses that are exempt from workers' compensation coverage.

Affidavit of Exemption for Workers' Compensation Insurance

Section 287.061 RSMO reads:

“Any city or county which issues an occupational or business license for a contractor in the construction industry shall require a certificate of insurance for workers’ compensation coverage or an affidavit, the form of which shall be developed by the division, signed by the applicant attesting that the contractor is exempt... Any contractor who fails to comply with the provisions... of this section shall be denied such a license until he or she furnishes a certificate of insurance.”


What to Expect

Once all clearances and payments are received, you will be able to obtain your license to do business in the City of St. Louis.


Additional Information

If you pay by check, the license application may be held for several working days until the check clears.

A separate Graduated Business License is required for each business location or trade name (St. Louis City Ordinance 52030).

Please visit our general information page to get more important information that you will need to know before obtaining your business license.

For more information about the License Collector's Office other resources and services, please visit our office home page. Once you are there, you will find a list of links to the various other resources and services provided by our office.



Office of the License Collector

(314) 622-4528

1200 Market Street, City Hall Room 102-104
St. Louis, MO 63103

Monday - Friday 8 AM - 5 PM

Contact the Office of the License Collector

Was this page helpful?      

Comments are helpful!
500 character limit

Feedback is anonymous.