Business License Information
Describes procedure for obtaining a business license with the City of St. Louis, exemptions or special requirements.
Any person who engages in any business, occupation, pursuit, profession, calling, a vocation, or trade within the City Limits of St. Louis is required to have a business license. The requirements to obtain a license change depending on the type of business.
Before getting started, review the St. Louis City Revised Code Chapter 8.02 on Licenses.
You may be required to obtain more than one business license:
- A separate license is required for each location of your business in the city.
- A separate license is required for each trade name under which you operate.
- A separate license is also required for each occupation or business at the same address.
- Licenses are not transferable.
- A new license must be obtained when owners, locations, or trade names change.
Business License Exempt Businesses
Some business or professions are exempt from any municipal business Licenses.
Graduated Business License Process
Special Tax Districts
Certain tax districts have been established which levy a special license fee in addition to the Graduated Business License.
- Learn about the current special tax districts.
42 comments from people like you have helped us improve this page. Keep the feedback coming!