St. Louis Community Credit Union, in conjunction with the City of St. Louis, is launching a unique lending partnership called the Sure Rides™ Auto Loan program. This initiative is designed to help qualified clients of select workforce development agencies get to work by giving them access to affordable car loans.
Oftentimes, people may have the capacity and skill to work, but cannot get to a job regularly because they don't own a car. St. Louis Community Credit Union will join forces with St. Louis Agency on Training and Employment (SLATE, the City of St. Louis' job training agency), Family and Workforce Centers of America (FWCA), Employment Connection and the Urban League to bridge this gap by creating pathways out of poverty through stable employment.
Long-term unemployment and diminished personal credit can prevent many people from obtaining car loans. This creates a losing situation for both employees and employers, thus dragging down our regional economy.
"There are a lot of reasons why climbing out of poverty and to the middle class is hard. But, one of them is a lack of access to good paying jobs. Many people who are willing to work hard do not live near good jobs, and do not own a car. So, while we always encourage everyone to use public transportation, the truth is, some folks spend as much time commuting to their job as doing the actual work itself," said Mayor Slay.
"We understand that some individuals may be credit challenged, which leaves them shut out from receiving car loans when they need them most," said Steve Dilley, SVP & Chief Lending Officer, St. Louis Community Credit Union. "St. Louis Community Credit Union is choosing to put the consumer first by becoming part of the solution and helping as many people as possible."
As a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), St. Louis Community Credit Union has the ability to receive grants and create outreach programs that actively serve the community. The Sure Rides™ Auto Loan program was made possible by a grant from the U.S. Treasury. It allows St. Louis Community Credit Union to participate in making auto loans to qualified low-income borrowers. St. Louis area residents have the opportunity to access affordable financing options to help make their career goals a reality.
"People who don't have good credit, or who may not have a job, will have a tougher time building a better life for themselves," said Mayor Francis Slay. "St. Louis Community Credit Union is helping our residents gain access to reliable transportation, which is a good step toward upward mobility – better job opportunities and financial stability."
To become eligible for participation in the Sure Rides™ Auto Loan program, an individual must:
- Be currently employed or starting a new job within 30 days with one of St. Louis Community's designated workforce partners (SLATE, FWCA, Employment Connection or the Urban League)
- Have a working phone number
- Present proof of income (recent paystub or job award letter)
- Provide a listing of monthly obligations
- Provide two months of bank and/or credit union statements and a recent utility or cell phone bill in the borrower's name
- Not have had a repossession in the past 12 months
- Carry full coverage insurance (comprehensive and collision) beginning at loan closing
- Live or work in St. Louis City and County or in St. Clair, Madison, Monroe and Jersey Counties in Illinois
- Have a valid driver's license
- Provide two character references
St. Louis Community Credit Union is a full-service financial institution that primarily serves low-to-moderate income individuals living in and around the region's urban areas. As part of its overall giveback to the community, the Credit Union offers a holistic approach to financial capability by providing credit building products, second-chance checking accounts, a payday loan alternative and hands-on financial education that helps disenfranchised consumers.
St. Louis Community Credit Union has 11 offices. Three of those locations are embedded within social service agencies, thus meeting consumers where they are (MET Center – Wellston, Grace Hill – Water Tower and Kingdom House – near downtown).
For more information on the Sure Rides™ Auto Loan program*, call 314.256.3999 or visit www.stlouiscommunity.com.
St. Louis Agency on Training and Employment
Office of the Mayor
Transportation, Infrastructure, and Utilities
Most Read News
On the Map: Black Rep
This edition of On the Map focuses on the Black Repertory Theater, the largest professional black theatre company in the country.
- RFP and NOFA Available July 11, 2018 CDA Funding Opportunities for Housing and Community Development
- SLDC Launches New and Improved Facade Grant Program Will offer forgivable grants up to $20,000 to eligible small business