Information about electrical permits and a link to our new permitting website.
Electrical permits are issued to electrical contractors who are certified by the City of Saint Louis. When selecting your electrical contractor, you may verify their qualifications by asking to see the company's City Certificate or by calling the Electrical Section at 314-622-3325.Examples of electrical work requiring electrical permits and field inspection include the following:
- Installation of a new electrical service, or any addition to or alteration of the existing branch circuit;
- Installing new electrical outlets and/or light fixtures;
- Installation of new fuse or circuit breaker panels.
A Homeowner can receive an electrical permit if the following criteria is met:
- Owner occupies the dwelling unit;
- Owner purchases the necessary equipment for the installation and/or repair;
- Owner successfully passes a short test given by the Electrical Section to determine that the Owner has sufficient knowledge of the Electrical Code to do the work;
- Owner obtains an electrical permit to do the electrical work and all the work meets all code requirements.
The Owner's electrical permit is applicable to single-family, Owner-occupied dwelling units only and shall be limited to room addition, repairs, or modifications of existing systems. Homeowners may not apply for permits for service changes, rehab, or new construction.