Information about plumbing permits and a link to our new permitting website.
Online Plumbing permits are applied for, reviewed, approved, and issued through our external permitting website.
Walk-in permits is also available in Building Division - Plumbing Section, Room 425, City Hall, between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The office is closed on all City holidays.
Plumbing permits are issued to Master Plumbers and Drainlayers who are certified by the City of Saint Louis. When selecting your plumber or drainlayer, you may verify their qualifications by asking to see the company's City Certificate or by calling the Plumbing Section at 314-622-3313.
A homeowner can receive a plumbing permit if the following criteria is met:
- Owner occupies the dwelling unit;
- Owner purchases the necessary equipment for the installation and/or repair;
- Owner successfully passes a short test given by the Plumbing Section to determine that the Owner has the mechanical skill and sufficient knowledge of the Plumbing Code to do the plumbing work;
- Owner personally does the plumbing work;
- Owner obtains a plumbing permit to do the plumbing work and all the work meets all Code requirements.
The owner's plumbing permit is applicable to single-family, owner-occupied dwelling units only.
Examples of plumbing work requiring plumbing permits and inspections include the placement of new plumbing fixtures, soil pipe connections, replacement of sewer laterals, soil stacks, vent pipes and water supply lines.
15 comments from people like you have helped us improve this page. Keep the feedback coming!