National Preparedness Month (NPM), recognized each September, provides an opportunity to remind us that we all must prepare ourselves and our families now and throughout the year. This year, NPM will focus on planning, with an overarching theme: Disasters Happen. Prepare Now. Learn How.
Take time to learn life saving skills − such as CPR and first aid, check your insurance policies and coverage for the hazards you may face, such as flood, earthquakes, and tornados. Make sure to consider the costs associated with disasters and save for an emergency. Also, know how to take practical safety steps like shutting off water and gas.
The devastating events of 2017 reminded the many of the importance of preparing for disasters. Often, family members and neighbors will be the first ones in our communities to take action after a disaster strikes and before first responders arrive, so it is important to prepare in advance to help yourself and your community.
2018 Weekly Themes
- Week 1: Sept 1-8 Make and Practice Your Plan
- Week 2: Sept 9-15* Learn Life Saving Skills
- Week 3: Sept 16-22 Check Your Coverage
- Week 4: Sept 23-29 Save For an Emergency
- September 15 is a National Day of Action
CEMA Twitter Feed
Join in with our Trending Twitter Hashtags:
Most Read News
- Volunteer for the 2019 Street and In Shelter Point-in-Time Count Last day to register to volunteer for the Street and In Shelter Point-in-Time Count is January 15th, 2019. Information collected during the PIT count guides efforts to end homelessness in St. Louis.
- 2019 Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service Americans across the country are rolling up their sleeves in service.
On the Map: Site of Poro College
This edition of On the Map focuses on Poro College, founded in 1917 at 4300 St. Ferdinand Avenue in The Ville neighborhood.