National Preparedness Month (NPM), recognized each September, provides an opportunity to remind us that we all must prepare ourselves and our families now and throughout the year. This year, NPM will focus on planning, with an overarching theme: Disasters Happen. Prepare Now. Learn How.
Take time to learn life saving skills − such as CPR and first aid, check your insurance policies and coverage for the hazards you may face, such as flood, earthquakes, and tornados. Make sure to consider the costs associated with disasters and save for an emergency. Also, know how to take practical safety steps like shutting off water and gas.
The devastating events of 2017 reminded the many of the importance of preparing for disasters. Often, family members and neighbors will be the first ones in our communities to take action after a disaster strikes and before first responders arrive, so it is important to prepare in advance to help yourself and your community.
2018 Weekly Themes
- Week 1: Sept 1-8 Make and Practice Your Plan
- Week 2: Sept 9-15* Learn Life Saving Skills
- Week 3: Sept 16-22 Check Your Coverage
- Week 4: Sept 23-29 Save For an Emergency
- September 15 is a National Day of Action
CEMA Twitter Feed
Join in with our Trending Twitter Hashtags:
Most Read News
- Mayor Krewson Appoints Matt Moak As Executive Director Of Community Development Administration Mayor Lyda Krewson has appointed attorney Matt Moak as Executive Director of the Community Development Administration.
- Enrollment for Free Summer Camps for City Kids Opened April 1st, 2019 Enrollment for Free Summer Camps for City Youth Ages 5-18 Opened Monday, April 1st, 2019
- Board of Aldermen Return from Recess Board of Aldermen Return from Recess for the beginning of the 2019-2020 session