National Preparedness Month (NPM), recognized each September, provides an opportunity to remind us that we all must prepare ourselves and our families now and throughout the year. This year, NPM will focus on planning, with an overarching theme: Be Prepared, Not Scared.
Take time to learn life saving skills − such as CPR and first aid, check your insurance policies and coverage for the hazards you may face, such as flood, earthquakes, and tornados. Make sure to consider the costs associated with disasters and save for an emergency. Also, know how to take practical safety steps like shutting off water and gas.
Often, family members and neighbors will be the first ones in our communities to take action after a disaster strikes and before first responders arrive, so it is important to prepare in advance to help yourself and your community.
2019 Weekly Themes
- Week 1: Sept 1-7th - Save Early for Disaster Cost
- Week 2: Sept 8-14th - Make a Plan to Prepare for Disasters
- Week 3: Sept 15-21st - Teach Youth to Prepare for Disasters
- Week 4: Sept 22-30th - Get Involved in your Community's Preparedness
Social Media Hastags
Most Read News
- BOA Job Fair Board of Aldermen to host Job Fair on Sept. 24 and Sept. 25
- Board of Aldermen returns from summer recess Board of Aldermen returns from summer recess 2019
- The Rockefeller Foundation Awards Grants to Fuel Plans for Equitable Investment in Opportunity Zones in St. Louis, Oakland, and Dallas LISC and BCT Partners Named National Partners