A Fire Insurance Map of part of the O’Fallon neighborhood, circa 1951. The subject site is highlighted in red. The highlighted site contained several industrial-use buildings, including machine manufacturing and plating businesses. One of the most prominent businesses during the 1950s was the Dazey Churn & Manufacturing Co., which produced hand and electric glass butter churns. A later 1990 Fire Insurance Map showed the same property to be later developed by the Central Mine Equipment Co. Other businesses on or adjacent to the site included a factory, an auto service, a filling station, a catering business, numerous residences, and other establishments.
A 1993 aerial view of the neighborhood and the subject site, years before demolition occurred. This heavily residential neighborhood saw significant industrial contamination, particularly on the subject site. Subsurface soil tests indicated contamination of arsenic, barium, cadmium, chromium, diesel range organics and other petroleum hydrocarbons. These contaminants were at levels higher than what was considered safe for residential use. This was a major problem, considering the site’s proximity to neighboring homes.
The St. Louis Development Corporation moved to clean up the site in the early 2000s. Nearly 1,400 tons of contaminated soil was removed, financed largely by the EPA’s revolving loan grant funds. The Missouri Department of Natural Resources issued a Certificate of Completion in 2005. The groundbreaking ceremony for the site's construction, seen in this image with Mayor Francis Slay (left) and Alderman Freeman Bosley Sr. (right) in attendance, occurred in September 2006.
The ribbon-cutting ceremony for the completed P.T. Bosley Senior Estates, with Mayor Slay (right) in attendance. The facility was finally completed in 2008. Some of the project's main contributors included organizations such as the Third Ward Neighborhood Council, Volunteers of America, HUD, Community Development Administration, and the St. Louis Affordable Housing Commission.