Vehicles that are larger than the below measurements are oversized and require an Overdimensional Permit to drive on the streets of the City of St. Louis. Applications for overdimensional permits will require you to declare the size/weight of the vehicle as well as the route of the transport.
- 9 ft and over in width OR
- 15 ft and over in height OR
- 50 ft and over in length for a single unit OR
- 75 ft and over in length for a combination unit.
- 22,400 pounds per axle is allowed before a unit is considered overweight.
Prior to applying for an overdimensional permit, a Certificate of Insurance naming the City of St. Louis as additionally insured MUST be on file in our office.
When applying for the permit, you will be asked to provide:
- Start Date of Conveyance
- Object to be transported
- Truck/tractor Make & Year
- Trailer Make & Year
- Axle weights (if >18' wide or > 110" long)
- Route, turn by turn, of the conveyance
- Start with the 'Begin Online' button below and select the service that best describe the situation.
- Complete the steps and submit the request.
- Overdimensional permits cost $25.00 and are good for 7 days.
- Permittee can make as many trips as needed, if all specifications are identical, within the 7 day time period.
- A return trip may be put on the same permit at no extra charge.
What to Expect
Upon approval of your application, the Street Department will email you that your permit is ready for pick up and payment (if not pre-paid) or we will email you your permit number (if pre-paid).
- For more information about pre-paying for Overdimensional permits, please contact our office at 647-3111.
- Permits issued by the City of St. Louis Street Department are for streets in the City of St Louis ONLY. If transporting on interstates in Missouri, please contact the Missouri Department of Transportation for proper permits.
Department of Streets
St. Louis, MO 63139
Monday thru Friday, 8:00 - 4:30