Property Assessment Appeals
Information on how to appeal your Property Assessment from the Assessor's Office.
The Assessor's Office holds informal hearings until June 21st, 2019. Meetings are scheduled with owners or their authorized representative by appointment only.
Gather helpful evidence which may include:
- A recent sales contract
- An appraisal performed by a licensed real estate appraiser
- Sales of comparable properties
- Photographs of any defects
- Income and expense information (if applicable).
- Call and schedule an appointment for informal hearing. Have parcel number or address of the property for which you are appealing:
Residential appeals call (314) 589-6581
Commercial appeals call (314) 589-6586
Calls will only be answered between 8 am and 5 pm Monday through Friday.
You can also email us at email@example.com 
- Bring related evidence to your scheduled appointment
What to Expect
An appraiser will consider your evidence. If you are not satisfied with the decision, you may appeal to the Board of Equalization. See Additional Information below.
Board of Equalization (BOE): If not satisfied with an informal hearing, the BOE gives the taxpayer the opportunity to be heard by a review board.
- BOE appeals must be placed with the Assessor's Office by the 2nd Monday in July
- The taxpayer and the Assessor's Office both present evidence and the Board makes a final determination on the value.
- The BOE is in session from the 1st of July until the last Saturday in August
- Forms to appeal to the BOE must be requested in person or by writing to: Board of Equalization, Room 120 City Hall, St. Louis, MO 63103.
State Tax Commission (STC): If a taxpayer is not satisfied with the Board of Equalization decision, they can appeal to the State Tax Commission.
- At this level, a Hearing Officer hears the case in a courtroom type setting.
- Residential property owners can represent themselves, however a commercial property owner must have legal representation
- There must be an appeal to the BOE prior to an appeal to the STC (with limited exceptions including newly purchased property).
- Appeals to the STC are due by September 30th, or 30 days after a BOE decision, whichever is later.
Assessor - Real Estate Assessment and Appraisal
1200 Market St
St. Louis, Mo 63103
8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday - Friday