The Personal Property Tax Department collects taxes on all motorized vehicles, boats, recreational vehicles, motorcycles, and business property. The value of your personal property is assessed by the Assessor's Office. These tax bills are mailed to citizens in November, using the address noted on their Personal Property Declaration, and are due by December 31st of each year.
Note: Due to the rising values of vehicles in the re-sale market, the tax on most vehicles will be more in 2022 than in 2021. Car and truck values in most Missouri counties have gone up anywhere from 20% to 30% for 2022. Read more.
- You will need to declare your personal property by April 1st of each year.
- You should receive a personal property tax bill in November. If you did not receive your personal property tax bill, you can look it up online, email email@example.com, or call the department at 314-622-4105.
- Review the Personal Property Tax information and learn about the assessment process, assessment rate, dates, waivers, etc.
Payment will be accepted in the form of credit or debit card, cash, check, money order or cashier's check for current year taxes. No checks will be accepted for delinquent tax payments.
Personal Property Tax Department
City Hall Room 109
1200 Market St.
St. Louis, MO. 63103
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
November through December 31st, you may also drop off your payment in the night deposit box at one of four Commerce Bank locations.
- 4402 Natural Bridge
St. Louis MO 63115
- 6327 Chippewa
St. Louis MO 63109
- 3134 S. Grand
St. Louis MO 63118
901 S Vandeventer
St. Louis MO 63110
After payment, you will receive your personal property tax receipt in the mail. Please allow up to ten business days for processing and mailing.
Payments will be accepted in the form of check, money order, and cashier’s check. No checks will be accepted for delinquent tax payments.
Mail payment and bill stub or statement to:
Gregory F.X. Daly, Collector of Revenue
PO Box 66877
St. Louis MO 63166-6877
Payments can be made over the phone by calling (314) 408-6887. Credit and debit card payments are accepted.
Online payments can be made through PayIt St. Louis.
- Go to PayitStlouis.com or download the app PayIt St. Louis through the Google Play or Apple App store.
- Follow the prompts to log in, sign up or continue as a guest.
- Enter your personal property tax account number to link your account.
- Payment can be made using a credit or debit card or via ACH payment.
- After successful payment, you will receive a payment confirmation notification to the email you used to sign up.
There is a 2.45% convenience fee for all credit and debit card transactions and a $1.25 fee for ACH transactions.
What to Expect
- Receipts for all payments will be available online after payment is processed. Look up and print your personal property tax receipt online.
- If you are delinquent on your personal property taxes, the Collector of Revenue may file suit. Court costs and attorney's fees are assessed against the account as dictated by Missouri Statute.
- Questions about a personal property tax bill assessment, name, or address change should be addressed to the Assessor's Office.
Once your bill is received, you can make payments on the bill until it is paid in full. If there is a balance on the account as of January 1, you will be subject to penalty and interest. If there are prior year taxes owed, you must pay the oldest tax year first and all taxes and fees must be paid in full to license the vehicle. Taxes that remain unpaid after December 31st may have a suit filed against them and will incur additional associated fees.
Please note that making payments towards delinquent personal property tax balances will not stop suit from being filed per Missouri State Statute.
Collector - Personal Property Tax Department
1200 Market St.,
St. Louis, MO 63103
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm