The City of St. Louis has an earnings tax. Funds from this tax provide critical resources for our city, such as street repair, fire and police services, lighting and forestry, and ensure that important city services are maintained.
The 1% City earnings tax is collected from these individuals:
- Residents of the City of St. Louis, regardless of the location of their employer.
- Employees of businesses located or performing work/services within the City of St. Louis, regardless of where they live.
Individual earnings taxes are due on April 15* of each year.
*Due date has been extended for Calendar Year Individuals and Businesses to April 18th
Determine whether or not your employer is withholding your City earnings tax for you. You may contact our office at (314) 622-4403 with a copy of your W-2 if you are unsure about your withholding status.
If your employer is fully withholding your earnings tax for you, you do not have to file or pay separately.
If your earnings tax isn't being withheld by your employer, follow the steps below:
- Fill out Form E-1.
If you paid income taxes to another state or political subdivision, you will also need to fill out Form E-1CR.
- Have all copies of your W-2s for the year.
- If you are filing an E-1CR, ensure you have filled out your state income tax return, as you will need to file a copy of it with your earnings tax return.
When filing by mail or in person, include the following:
- Form E-1
- Copies of your W-2s for the year
- Form E-1CR (if applicable)
- A copy of your state income tax return (if filing an E-1CR)
Mail the above items to the address below:
Gregory F.X. Daly, Collector of Revenue
1200 Market Street, Room 410
St Louis, MO 63103
The office currently accepts personal check, cashier's check or money order via US mail.
Filing and payment may also be done in person at the address above using credit or debit card, cash, personal check, cashier's check or money order.
At this time you cannot file your taxes electronically, but you can pay them online and mail, fax, or email your return to the office. Your payment will be applied to your account and matched to your return when it is received.
If you are paying by credit or debit card, a 2.45% processing fee will be applied to your payment. ACH payments have a flat fee charge of $1.25 per transaction.
The City of St. Louis does not allow individuals to file for an extension on their earnings tax returns.
All taxes received after the filing deadline will be subject to a penalty of 5% of the amount of tax for each month, or fraction thereof (not to exceed 25%) plus interest at the rate of 1% per month or fraction thereof (12% per year), until the taxes are paid. Penalty and interest will be assessed if the extension prepayment is not 90% of the original tax due.
What to Expect
Your earnings tax payment and return will serve as your receipt.
- Withholding & Reconciliation - (314) 622-4805
- New Accounts - (314) 622-3291
- Individual Earnings Tax-Refund - (314) 641-8455
- Individual Earnings Tax - (314) 622-4403
Collector - Earnings Tax Department
1200 Market Street,
City Hall, Room 410
St. Louis, MO 63103
Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM