The National Weather Service in St. Louis has issued a Winter Storm Warning for noon Friday, January 11, 2019, to midnight Sunday, January 13, 2019. Heavy snow is expected with total accumulations of 6 to 9 inches.
A Winter Storm Warning for snow and sleet means that heavy snowfall of 6 or more inches is expected.
Travel may be extremely difficult and the hazardous conditions may impact the evening commute. If travel is necessary, make sure to exercise extreme caution.
The City of St. Louis Department of Health is advising residents to remember the following tips:
- Check your car’s emergency kit.
- Wear a hat and gloves, and try to have as little exposed skin as possible.
- Use caution when walking outdoors to avoid slipping on snow and ice.
- Be sure to check on elderly neighbors, or anyone else you know who may be in need of assistance.
- Continue watching your local news for weather updates.
For additional cold weather safety tips visit the City of St. Louis Department of Health Severe Weather website at https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/departments/health/severe-weather.cfm.
Area seniors and people with disabilities who can't afford to pay their winter heating bills may qualify for help through Heatupstlouis.org, a regional charity serving as a safety net providing utility assistance to those in need. To qualify log on to www.heatupstlouis.org or call the automated hotline at 314-241-7668.