Spend your summer in the sun as a lifeguard or recreation employee and help create fun, memorable, and safe experiences for youth with the City Recreation Division.
The Recreation Division is hiring:
- Lifeguard (hourly)
- Lifeguard Supervisor (hourly)
- Recreation Assistant (hourly)
- Recreation Assistant (BOXING COACH) (per performance)
Job descriptions, qualifications and pay information are available at the links above.
City of St. Louis 2023 Summer Lifeguard Staffing
If you are not currently a certified lifeguard, the City of St. Louis’ Recreation Department offers the American Red Cross lifeguard course free-of-charge and will help you apply to be a lifeguard with the City.
- Candidates must be at least 15 years of age on or before the final scheduled session of the course.
- Must have a City and County police record check and application turned into the Department of Personnel.
- You can complete a paper application when you show up for the pre-course exam. The Department of Recreation will submit the completed applications and background checks to the Department of Personnel.
- After successful completion of the American Red Cross certification course, a drug test is required before being onboarded.
In order to be eligible for the lifeguard certification course, applicants must pass the pre-course exam, which includes: a 300-yard swim, retrieval of a 10-pound brick within 1:40 seconds and be able to tread water for 2-minutes without using hands.
After successful completion of the pre-course exam, applicants must complete a 29-hour course that is taught over 3 to 4 days. In some cases, training can begin the same day as the pre-course exam and be completed over the course of one weekend.
Pre-Course Exam Dates: