All You Need to Know About Special Events

All you need to know about Special Events and City Departmental Policies for Special Events

The Special Events Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and City Departmental Policies page is setup to answer both the common and not so common questions regarding Special Events.

Policies referred to in the application and guide, are located in the appropriate departmental section. For example, tents require a Building Division Permit; details are under the Building Division section.

By Department

Street Dept. Special Events

Building Division Tent Policies for Special Events

Health Department Special Events

Police Dept. Special Events

Excise Division Special Events

Propane for an Event

Special Events Office

Streets Dept. Special Events

Street Permit

A street permit is needed for any event that requires use of any part of a street or sidewalk.  This includes the closing of an entire street or just designating curb lanes for special parking/no parking.

Street Permit Costs

Permits for festivals/fairs are priced by the number of lanes, number of blocks and number of days the right of way will be used by the event.

  • A curb lane is $20/block/day
  • A traffic lane is $30/block/day

Example: A full block with 2 traffic lanes and 2 curb lanes is $100/block/day.

A parade, run, march, walk, ride or other "routed" event is $100 per route.  If you have an event that includes a festival and a parade, for example, then the fee will be $100 for the parade plus blocking fees for the festival area as described above.

Parking Meters and Costs

Meters are managed by the City Treasurer and must be rented for the time that the curb lane will be blocked from public parking.

  • $25 application fee
  • $500 refundable deposit (refunded by the Treasurer if all meter signage is removed and meters are left in good condition after the event)
  • $20/block/day when meters blocked for a stationary event (such as a concert, street festival, staging area, etc)
  • $500 flat fee for parades/runs/bike rides etc that block meters and utilize a rolling closure/re-open plan

The Street Department will collect these fees on behalf of the Treasurer at the time the Street Permit is issued.  Requests for refunding of the $500 deposit should be submitted directly to the Treasurer's office.

Route Description

On your Street Closing Application, you should provide a text description of your route from starting point to ending point. The wording should utilize directions (N, S, E, W) as well as street names.  

Example: Start at 13th & Olive, S on 13th to Market, W to 20th, N to Locust, E to 13th, S to end at start point. You should also attach a map of your route.

Street Closure Policies

On your Street Closing Application, use the grid to indicate your request for street closures.  Provide a reason why that section of street closure is needed, i.e., will it be used for parking, for food/festival area, for parade staging, etc.  Because fees are based on number of blocks, number of lanes, and number of meters to be closed, it is important that the grid be filled out completely.  

The Street Department will review your request and advise if there are any circumstances that will require adjustment to your street plan.  In general, events held downtown on the weekends cannot begin set up until 7 p.m. on Friday and must be finished with clean up by 7 a.m. the following Monday.

 Other conditions will be communicated to you after we review your application.

Barricade /Closure of Street and Posting Detour Signs

The applicant is responsible for closing the street with proper barricades.  As part of your application, you will be asked to submit the name of the traffic control company you are hiring for managing closures/detours, details of the types of barricades you plan to use and where they will be placed.  

A list of local traffic control companies that rent signage/barricades and assist with detour planning is available on the Streets Department website.

Renting Bike Racks

Bike racks, for your event, are available for rent through the Street Department. These are non-reflective, metal racks (not sufficient for night-time street closures, but good for crowd control along a run/parade route). The Street Department will deliver the racks to the street corners you have designated one business day before your event and collect the racks on the first business day following your event. You will be responsible for setting the racks out in the desired formation the day of the event and then moving them back to the sidewalk after the event, being careful NOT to obstruct wheelchair ramps at the corners.

  • Minimum order is 100 racks.  
  • $5/rack plus $1/rack refundable deposit

Tow Policy for Special Events

Options for clearing the area of parked cars

  • OPTION 1 - The event organizer hires the City Tow Lot to relocate cars. The tow lot will simply move cars to a nearby side street or parking lot.

    The owner of the vehicle can find out where their car has been placed by calling either the police or the City Tow Lot. This is less inconvenient for the vehicle owner, as they will not have to pay to get their car out of the impound lot. 

    Cost to the event organizer is $200/2 hr. tow truck shift.  This option is available at the discretion of the Street Commissioner - not available to small events.
  • OPTION 2 - The City tows vehicles to the impound lot at 7410 Hall Street and vehicle owners have to go to the tow lot to pay towing fees in order to retrieve their vehicles (approximately $150-$200/vehicle). 

    With this option, there is no cost to the event organizers, however the police must request the towing for public safety reasons.

State Highway On/Off Ramp Closures

Some city streets (Manchester, Chouteau, Page, Dr. Martin Luther King Drive, and Gravois are examples) are also state highways and require a closure permit from MoDOT.  Closing any interstate on/off ramps also requires a permit from MoDOT.  After reviewing your application, the Office of Special Events will alert you if a MoDOT permit is needed and provide you further information on how to apply for it.

  • No cost for most MoDOT permits
  • You will be responsible for hiring a traffic control company to manage the closure.

Trash Collection for Events

The City of St. Louis Refuse Division requires recycling at events.  Organizers must retain the services of a private hauling company to collect waste. The Refuse Division provides the following list:

Refuse Division Private Hauler List
Company Phone
Progressive Waste, aka I.E.S.I. 314-291-0887
American Eagle 314-762-6556
Waste Management 314-269-0718
Aspen Waste 314-890-9100
Meridian Waste 314-598-2961
Republic Services, aka Allied Waste 314-744-8128

Traffic Plan

Clear and concise signage and traffic detours.

Valet Parking for Special Events

Current information for Commercial and and Non-Commercial valet permits may be found on the Street Department pages, under the Blocking Permit link.

Building Division Tent Policies for Special Events

Tents requiring permits

  • Tents greater than 800 sq. feet in total area, including multiple tents attached to each other with an aggregate area greater than 800 sq. feet.
  • The erection and maintenance of tents on the same lot shall not exceed a total of 180 days unless a waiver is granted by the Building Code Official.
  • All tents, regardless of size, that affect, cover or obstruct any portion of the required means of egress from any building.
  • Tents less than 1,000 sq. ft. that do not affect, cover or obstruct any portion of a required means of egress from any building.
  • Tents operated 2 ½ days or less by a non-for-profit organization and operated on private ground owned by and adjacent to said organization's facilities.
  • Tents for private family events that are erected on the same lot with the residence.
  • Tents requiring permits: 
    • shall not be erected prior to obtaining a tent permit;
    • shall not be operated or occupied prior to inspection and formal approval by the Fire Safety Unit inspector.
  • A site plan is required to be submitted with the application, showing the location of the tent(s) in relation to the property lines and building(s).  The plan shall also show the means of egress (exits) and the exit path(s) to the street, alley or public way for the tent and for any building affected by the tent.  Exit signs, emergency lights, doors and any HVAC for the tent shall be shown on the plans.
  • A notarized letter from the owner is required if the tent is to be located on property not owned by the applicant.
  • Formal approval issued in the form of:
    • a "Certificate of Inspection" signed and dated by the Fire Safety Unit inspector and
    • an "Occupancy Load Placard" indicating the maximum number of persons allowed in the tent.
    • Both documents shall be posted in a conspicuous, protected location.

Tents not requiring permits

  • Tents less than 800 sq. ft. that do not affect, cover or obstruct any portion of a required means of egress from any building.
  • Tents operated 2 ½ days or less by a non-for-profit organization and operated on private ground owned by and adjacent to said organization’s facilities.
  • Tents for private family events that are erected on the same lot with the residence.

Permit Applications

  • Tents requiring permits:
    • shall not be erected prior to obtaining a tent permit;
    • shall not be operated or occupied prior to inspection and formal approval by the Fire Safety Unit inspector.
  • A site plan is required to be submitted with the application, showing the location of the tent(s) in relation to the property lines and building(s).  The plan shall also show the means of egress (exits) and the exit path(s) to the street, alley or public way for the tent and for any building affected by the tent.  Exit signs, emergency lights, doors and any HVAC for the tent shall be shown on the plans.
  • A notarized letter from the owner is required if the tent is to be located on property not owned by the applicant.
  • Formal approval issued in the form of:
    • A "Certificate of Inspection" signed and dated by the Fire Safety Unit inspector and
    • An "Occupancy Load Placard" indicating the maximum number of persons allowed in the tent.
    • Both documents shall be posted in a conspicuous, protected location. 

Requirements for all Tents


Number and size of exits to the exterior of the tent:

  • >50 persons: one exit, a minimum of 36" wide.
  • 50 to 499 persons: minimum of two exits are required; each a minimum of 72" wide
  • 500 to 999 persons: three exits are required; each a minimum of 72" wide
  • 1,000< persons: contact the Fire Safety Unit inspector.


  • For tents requiring two or more exits, the location of two of the exits shall be separated by a distance of at least ½ the total diagonal measurement of the tent.
  • The maximum travel distance to the nearest exit is 150 feet.
  • All exits shall discharge at a street, alley or public way. If any portion of a required exit from a building is covered by a tent, additional requirements may apply.

Exit Access

  • Exits and exit access aisles shall not be obstructed.
  • Exiting shall not require the use of any special knowledge or effort.
  • Tent "flaps" covering the exit opening shall not be secured, fastened, locked or tied closed.
  • Tent exit doors may be used upon approval of the Code Official; these doors shall be indicated on the application plan, are required to swing in the direction of egress (exit) travel and will require approved panic hardware, except for occupancies less than 50 persons.

Exit Signs and Emergency Lights

  • Minimum of one emergency light and one exit sign at each exit (except for tents with an occupant load less than 50 and certain family event tents).
  • An electrical permit may be required; contact the Electrical Section.


  • No more than 11 seats per row
  • Chairs must be bound together in groups of three or more.
  • Aisles a minimum of 60" wide shall be provided on both sides of all rows and in the front and rear of the seating area(s).


  • cleared of debris, refuse and weeds within 50' of tent.

Fire Safety Precautions

Fire Extinguisher

  • an approved and serviced ABC type fire extinguisher shall be readily visible and accessible within 100 feet of any point inside the tent.

Tent construction 

  • Tents shall be constructed and supported to withstand a wind speed of 90 miles per hour; Exposure B.
  • Tent fabric and decorative material shall be flame resistant/self-extinguishing in accordance with the Tents walls shall be a minimum of four feet from interior lot lines.


It shall be the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the tent is being operated and maintained in a safe manner in accordance with the permit requirements, including not exceeding the occupant load. 

Fire safety 

  • No open flames of any kind are allowed in tent.
  • Lighting, audio and visual systems to be powered by electricity only; permit required.
  • No hay, straw or similar combustible material allowed in or near tent.
  • Failure to operate and maintain the tent in accordance with the permit requirements may result in immediate closure, revocation of the "Certificate of Inspection", fines and / or other legal actions by the City of St. Louis.


A minimum of one staff person shall be on site at all times while open to the public to monitor conditions and address concerns that the public, Police, Fire Safety Unit, Fire Marshal, Fire Department or other authorities may have.


The use of propane requires a separate permit from the Fire Marshal's office (314) 289-1900.


Permit required. Tents shall not be located under electrical transmission lines unless approved by the Electrical Section.  Contact Electrical Inspection Section; (314) 622-3325.

Other Requirements

BPS Permit

A Board of Public Service permit is required if tent is to be located on City of St. Louis owned property. (314) 622-4627.

ADA requirements

  • Accessibility to tents for people with disabilities shall be maintained at all times.
  • An unobstructed route within and into the tent shall be provided continuously during the use of the tent.
  • For additional information, contact the Commissioner on the Disabled at (314) 622-3686.

Fire Safety

For specific fire safety questions regarding tents, relating to exits, occupant loads, exit signs, emergency lighting, fire extinguishers, exit doors and hardware etc. contact the Building Division at (314) 622-3318.

Electrical Wiring for Events

The installation of lights, equipment, receptacles, and any other items used in the service of your event must conform to the City of St. Louis' Electrical Ordinance 65020.  This ordinance states that all installations of wiring or equipment must be done by a Licensed Electrical Contractor. This contractor must hold a license with the City of St. Louis.  The wiring methods used shall conform to the National Electrical Code, Articles 525, 590, 445, and 250.

Items the City's Electrical Inspectors reviews when called by the contractor for their inspection:

  • When flexible cords are used, they shall be listed for extra hard usage.
  • When used outdoors, they shall be listed for wet locations and sunlight resistant.
  • Where not subject to physical damage the cords shall be permitted to be of the hard usage type.
  • Flexible cords or cables accessible to the public shall be arranged to minimize the tripping hazard and shall be permitted to be covered with a non-conductive matting, provided the matting does not create a greater tripping hazard than the cords or cables.
  • Electrical wiring for lighting, where installed inside a tent, shall be provided with mechanical protection.
  • Lamps for general illumination shall be protected from accidental breakage by a suitable fixture or lampholder with a guard.
  • Receptacles shall be GFCI protected.
  • Receptacles in damp or wet locations shall be suitable for those locations.
  • Egress lighting shall not be protected by a GFCI.
  • Decorative lighting used shall be listed and installed for no more than 90 days


Permitting for Temporary Power Using Generators

Suppliers of portable generators, which are used for events that do not have need of normal power, and the parties leasing those generators, need to be aware of the following:

  • The installation of generators falls under the provisions of the NEC.
  • Wiring is Article 445, Grounding Article 250.  The wiring which runs from the generator to the different venues will be covered by Articles 525 and 590.
  • The grounding and wiring from the generator must be installed by a Licensed Electrical Contractor.
  • This contractor must pull the proper permits and must be present for inspection by the City's Building Division Electrical Inspectors.

For more information, contact Jerry Feagans, Chief Electrical Inspector at (314) 622-3326.

Temporary Signs Policy

With regard to temporary signs (including banners) permitted in all districts (Zoning Ordinance Section 26.68.030(M), per the provision of Section 105.6 Rule Making Authority of Ordinance 64771 as amended, effective immediately, the following policy shall apply:

  • Temporary signs that only advertise or identify products or services for sale on the premises at which the temporary sign is located, or advertise an event, shall not be required to comply with the rules and regulations relating to signs in their zoning district, unless said sign is viewable from any public right-of-way for a period in excess of six (6) months.
  • In no case shall the total square feet of said temporary sign be larger than 30% of the facade on which said sign is located.
  • Only one temporary sign shall be allowed per facade.  In the event that a Temporary Sign is proposed within an area that has applied for and  been issued a Festival Permit, permission must be obtained from the organization that holds the Festival Permit, for the Temporary Sign.
  • Temporary signs that relate to major league sporting events may be displayed for a period of time not to exceed thirty (30) days.


In accordance with Zoning Ordinance Section 20.28.150, no person shall erect, or cause to be erected and no person shall maintain or cause to be maintained a banner mounted on City light standards without an encroachment permit from the Board of Public Service and a banner permit from the Street Department.  Contact these departments directly for the current permits and fee information.

Downtown Banner Program Guidelines

The program permits the erection of banners on streetlight standards located in Downtown St. Louis  for the promotion of cultural and civic events.  For more information, contact the Downtown St. Louis Partnership at (314) 436-6500.

Health Department Special Events

Selling or Serving Food at a Special Event

  • Applicants must apply for vendor's permit or waiver at License Collector's Office, 1200 Market Street, Room 104, (314) 622-4528, prior to applying for temporary food permit.
  • If you are operating within a festival zone, approval from the event organizer must be provided.  This is usually done by having the event organizer include the vendor on their approved list.
  • Temporary food permits are issued based on criteria for the applicable type or permit. To determine which permit to seek, visit the Temporary Food Permit Criteria page.
  • Temporary food permit applicants must have at least one person on site who has completed the Food Safety Training successfully on site at all times for the duration of the permit.
  • Food vendors will be given a copy of the outdoor festival requirements that must be followed.
  • Food operations are subject to inspection by the Food Control Staff.
  • All food sold or given away must be prepared on site, be commercially prepared, or come from an establishment under inspection.

Once you have received vendor's permit or waiver from the License Collector's Office, apply in person at least two (2) business days in advance of the event at

St. Louis Health Department Food Control Services 
1520 Market, 4th floor, Room 4051
St. Louis, MO 63103

Applications are accepted from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Bring the following:

  • Vendor's license or waiver from the License Collector (waiver is usually forwarded to the Health Department by License Collector)
  • A picture I.D. (such as driver's license, state I.D., military I.D., etc.),
  • A business check, cashier's check, or money order for the appropriate amount.
  • Temporary food permit fees are based on the type of permit requested. For information on fees, please visit the Temporary Food Permit page.

Porta Potties Policy

Refuse Disposal and Maintenance

Refuse disposal and maintenance should be provided in quantity, quality, and frequency so as to:

  • Prevent the overflow of refuse
  • Prevent the accumulation of refuse outside of containers designated for refuse collection, especially in hand-washing and/or toilet facilities
  • Prevent the attraction and/or allow intrusion of domestic animals, wildlife, pests, and/or rodents
  • Prevent the nuisance of odors
  • Provide for safe handling against hazardous substances and/or transmission of diseases.

Hand Washing

  • Proper hand-washing facilities must be provided at all special events.
  • Hand sanitizer may be provided as supplement, but not in lieu of proper hand-washing facilities.
  • Proper hand-washing includes the use of running water at sufficient volume and pressure to remove soil (preferably hot water) and soap (preferably liquid soap dispensed by hand or foot pump) where both hands are free to rub together, create a lather, and rinse, followed with drying with paper/disposable towels. If hot water is not provided, a soap which emulsifies easily in cold water should be provided.


Hand-washing stations should be accessible to adults, children, and persons with disabilities.


Hand-washing stations should be located near toilet facilities, food preparation areas, and food consumption areas.


Hand-washing facilities should include routine cleaning and restocking to ensure an adequate supply of paper towels and soap
Effective supplemental hand sanitizer, if also provided, should be alcohol based and contain at least 60% alcohol.


  • Toilets must be secured so as to prevent tipping.
  • Toilets must be serviced (including pump-out) at least once every 24 hours during an event. Additional servicing may be required when needed. Servicing shall be conducted as to provide clean toilet facilities throughout the event.
  • Separate Toilet facilities will be provided for medical personnel.
  • Separate Toilet facilities will be provided for food & beverage handlers.


  • Near hand-washing facilities
  • Away from food preparation, service, storage, and consumption areas
  • In a well-lit location
  • In an area which is vehicle accessible (required for servicing/pump-out)

Calculating the Number of Toilets and Hand-washing facilities

This is based on event duration, expected attendance, expected attendance gender type, and whether or not alcohol will be provided. (In most cases gender should be assumed as 50/50 unless event is otherwise intended.)

For events lasting longer than 8 hours:

Alcohol Will Be Provided

Calculate Number of Tiolet Facilities and Hand-washing Stations Based on Attendance
 Attendance  Toilet Facilities  Hand-washing Stations
 Below 1,000  10  2
 For Each Additional 1,000  4  2


Alcohol Not Provided

Calculate Number of Tiolet Facilities and Hand-washing Stations Based on Attendance
 Attendance  Toilet Facilities  Hand-washing Stations
 Below 1,000  6  2
 For Each Additional 1,000  3  2

If event is expected to have a significantly higher ratio of women in attendance, more toilet and hand-washing facilities should be provided
If the event is expected to last for less than 8 hours, toilet facilities may be reduced by 75%.

Animal Participant Events

Events in which companion animals will participate or compete and be accompanied by their owners or caretakers:

  • Estimated # of animals expected to attend
  • Type of activity in which the animals will be involved
  • Point of contact on event staff for Animal Control issues

Animal Show Events

Events in which animals will be shown, displayed, handled, ridden, or otherwise made use of for purposes of entertainment or amusement:

  • # and type of animals
  • type of activity in which the animals will be involved
  • point of contact on event staff for Animal Care issues
  • Animal enclosures must be kept clean of droppings (droppings must be picked up continuously).  A container with tight fitting lid shall be on hand to receive droppings and droppings must be disposed of in a clean, sanitary way.
  • Every effort must be made to control flies in horse or pony riding area or in areas where any animals are confined or exhibited.
  • If animals are to be kept in area, bedding must be kept clean and changed regularly.
  • If animals are to be fed in area, feed must be stored in containers with tight fitting lids.
  • Adequate water must be available for animals to drink.
  • If weather is extremely hot, a shaded area should be available for animals.

Police Dept. Special Events

Security Plan

The goal of a successful contingency plan is to protect life and property by identifying the risks associated with an event and developing a plan of action to minimize those risks and address the safety requirements of the participants and spectators.  

Event organizers should take into consideration the scope of the event, the potential risk of injury or illness to participants and spectators, security needs, and emergency support required to help promote a safe and enjoyable event.  

Should a natural or man-made emergency or disaster occur, the event organizer(s) is legally and morally obligated to ensure that the necessary and appropriate actions will be taken to minimize harm.  The Department stands ready to work with you to ensure that the necessary resources and personnel are available to help make your event a successful one.

Secondary Officers Policy

St. Louis Police Officers should be given first right of refusal before a security firm is hired to provide security for an event.

Notification to Surrounding Area

It is the responsibility of the event organizers to arrange notification of businesses and residents in the area immediately surrounding the event site about the event and the dates/times they will likely be impacted by inflow of traffic/people, etc.

Excise Division Special Events

Selling Liquor at Special Event

The sale of liquor, wine or spirits is common for most special events in the City. Generally sales of liquor, wine or spirits are handled by either a Not for Profit organization or a liquor licensed holder wishing to sell off premise. For a Not for Profit the following steps need to be taken in order to receive their Picnic Liquor License.

  • You must complete a Picnic License application at the Excise Division Office and said application must be presented in person & signed in the presence of an employee of the Excise division.
  • There is a fee of $37.50 per booth to be licensed per sale area.
  • You will also need a Letter from the organization appointing a managing officer for the license
  • You will need to have the dates, time & location of the event specified, a photo of the managing officer (not an ID), proof of voter registration of the managing officer, a paid personal property tax receipt or waiver of the managing officer   
  • Federal ID number of the not for profit organization, a copy of the organization's Federal 501c3 letter from the IRS, a copy of the organization's Missouri state tax exemption letter, and a copy of the organization's Missouri certificate of No Tax Due
  • Permission letter from the venue where the event is going to be held
  • Copy of the street department permit if street is to be closed in conjunction with event
  • Copy of the park permit if the event is in a city park
  • Copy of Board of Public Service permit (if the event is in a city building)
  • Fire Marshal approval (if applicable)
  • Copy of Occupancy Permit, if event is in a building.
  • Applicant will also need to obtain a state picnic liquor license from the Missouri Division of Alcohol and Tobacco.

Caterer's Permit

  • Completed application form must be signed by the owner, (any) partner or managing officer for the corporation or LLC.
  • Check or money order for $15 per Caterer's Permit, per catered area, per day.  If an event goes past midnight, it will count as an additional day.
  • Copies are .25 cent per copy (optional)
  • Letter from property owner giving licensee permission to use their location, including description of the catered area, with date and time of the event.
  • If the licensee is outside of the City of St. Louis, a copy of your local municipality license and a copy of Missouri Division of Alcohol and Tobacco license is required.
  • Copy of Missouri Certificate of No Tax Due
  • If the event is on a Sunday, a copy of your municipality license and a copy of State Sunday license is needed.
  • Licensee must pick up this permit in person.  Please allow 5-7 days for processing.
  • Contact the Building Division at (314) 622-3313 to see if you need an Occupancy Permit.
  • Applicant must also obtain a Missouri Division of Alcohol and Tobacco Caterer's Permit:
Missouri Division of Alcohol and Tobacco
3526 Laclede Station Road
St. Louis, MO  63143
(314) 877-0324 or (573) 751-2333  

Water Department Special Events

Drinking Fountains

  • Requests must be made 48 hours in advance in order to secure drinking fountain(s).
  • Drinking fountains are reserved for short-term community functions (usually 1-2 days for school picnics, neighborhood festivals, etc.)
  • A drinking fountain provides drinking water for the public through one bubbler on top of fountain and one regular 1" hose bib hook-up under the fountain to fill buckets, wash hands, etc.
  • The drinking fountain is installed directly on the fire hydrant by the Water Division and is removed by the Water Division.
  • The Water Division does not install or remove drinking fountains on weekends or holidays.  If a fountain is not needed until Saturday or Sunday, the fountain will be installed the previous Friday.  The permit holder will be responsible for the drinking fountain regardless of the length of time between installation and removal.

Drinking Fountain Cost

  • $100.00 deposit per fountain in advance of installation.
  • $28.00 to install each fountain and $28.00 to remove each fountain. The remainder will be refunded assuming that no damage or theft has occurred to the fountain(s).
  • Complete application (for Combo Drinking Fountain, Water Wagon or Hydrant).
  • Make check payable to:City of St. Louis Water Division (No cash or credit cards accepted)
Application form requests and deposits can be mailed to:
City of St. Louis Water Division
4600 McRee Avenue
St. Louis, MO  63110
Attention:  Tina Swenson (314) 633-9029
  • Problems with the drinking fountain or fire hydrant, please call (314) 633-9000 ext. 9130 or ext. 9132.

Water Wagon

  • Deposit $200.00 ($50 to deliver and $50.00 to pick up)
  • Balance will be reimbursed unless stolen or damaged

Fire Department Special Events Policy

Propane for an Event

A permit through the Fire Marshal's office is required for events that will need to use propane (Liquefied Petroleum Gas).  The office needs at least one week's notice prior to the event.   

  • $25.00 non-refundable application fee, plus $50.00 per permit per booth, as determined on a case-by-case basis by the Fire Marshal's office. 

Pyrotechnics Display/Fireworks

Only a licensed pyrotechnician, licensed by the City and State, and working for a company that holds a current Certificate of Registration from the City and State may apply to the Fire Department for a permit to present a fireworks display at a special event.  

He or she should contact the Department at least one month ahead of the scheduled event.  The permit application approval process is extensive to ensure the safety of participants and spectators.

  • $25.00 non-refundable application fee, plus $30.00 transportation fee for the first vehicle and $15.00 for each additional vehicle.

Emergency Equipment and Medical Services Policy

The City of St. Louis currently provides fire and emergency medical services through the 9-1-1 system.  It is the responsibility of the event organizers to determine if a private ambulance or medical personnel should be on site at the event.  The St. Louis Fire Department makes the determination whether or not City fire and/or medical equipment and personnel will be on site at an event.  

Factors in that determination include if it is a City-sponsored event, if the attendance at the event is so large that the 9-1-1 system would not be able to provide normal services, etc. While the City of St. Louis does not endorse any specific company, there are multiple private EMS providers in the City.

Special Events Office

Events on the Arch Grounds

Request must be made to the National Park Service, Park Permits Office, (314) 655-1613.

Vendor Information (Festival Permit)

Event organizers must submit to the Special Events Office a list of all vendors that will be at the event.  Include the following information -- per vendor:

  • Business Name
  • Business Address
  • Federal ID # (can be social security # if it's an individual)
  • Not for Profit - 501c3 number
  • What they will be selling

The list will go to the License Collector's Office to check for compliance on all taxes.  They will not be given clearance to vend if taxes are owed.  If they are not compliant, the organizers will be notified and they must pass the information to the business asking for a vending permit.  No vendor will receive a Festival Vendor permit or Health permit if they are not in complete compliance.
All vendors selling food must get a Temporary Health Food Permit.  It must be displayed in their booth.

All vendors selling alcohol must have a liquor license, issued by the Excise Office -- both City and State.  The liquor license must be displayed in their both.  Each point of sale for alcohol must obtain a license.

Was this page helpful?      

Comments are helpful!
500 character limit

Feedback is anonymous.