On This Page
Property owners are required to maintain their sidewalks in good repair. The City of St. Louis offers owners a cost sharing option through the 50/50 sidewalk program.
If your property is eligible and you agree to participate, the City will split the cost of sidewalk repair with you.
- Begin by contacting the Citizens' Service Bureau (CSB) online and requesting a sidewalk inspection.
- Submit your request online by clicking on the "Begin online" button below.
- Once a service request in submitted, a Street Department inspector will assess the condition of your sidewalk and verify your eligibility.
- Properties zoned A through G are eligible.
- All real estate property taxes must be paid in full to be eligible..
Payment of 50% of the repair costs and the City will pay for the remaining 50%.
What to Expect
If your property is eligible to participate, your address will be placed on our waiting list.
The waiting list can be long, because it depends on the amount of funds available in your ward and the number of requests. This program is funded by individual aldermen through their Ward Capital allocations.
Prior to any work being done, you will receive a letter from the Street Department detailing your share of the costs. You must sign and return this letter to us before work can proceed.
If any slabs of your sidewalk have damage caused by tree roots from a City tree (trees between the street and the sidewalk), the City will pay 100% of the cost to repair the affected slabs.
If you prefer to repair your sidewalk at your own expense, you may do so. In that case you will need to get a permit for the repair. Sidewalk repair permits cost $25 for a residential property or $50 for a commercial property. You cannot be reimbursed through the 50-50 program for any work done at your expense.
Citizens' Service Bureau
1520 Market St. Room 4087
St. Louis, MO 63103
Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (excluding City holidays)