The City automated refuse collection uses a system of dumpsters and roll-out carts for collection and disposal of residential trash, yard waste and recycling items.
Dumpsters are placed in alleys and roll-out carts are available in residential areas without alleys.
The City Refuse Division does not service commercial properties. All commercial properties must have their own private hauling service.
- Sort your waste by trash, recyclable, and yard waste and dispose in appropriate container.
- Determine your normal collection days. Enter your address in the address and property locator under the 'Trash and Maintenance' section.
- Read more about the collection schedule, holiday adjustments, and changes to yard waste collection in the winter.
What you should do:
- Place all household trash that cannot be recycled in a trash bag and place inside the refuse containers marked "No Yard Waste". Roll-cart customers place inside your green roll cart for collection on Mon or Tues (depending on schedule for your block)
- Place all yard waste (do not bag it) in the Yard Waste container. Roll-cart customers place inside your green roll cart for collection on Wednesdays.
- Place all recyclables (do not bag them) in the blue Recycle container. Roll-cart customers place inside your BLUE cart for collection on Thursday or Friday (depending on schedule for your block).
- Keep the lid closed.
- If the alley container nearest you is full, you may use a neighboring container which is not full.
- Roll Cart customers - push your cart into the street and at least 3 feet away from parked cars. Carts should be out by 5am of your collection day. Carts must pulled back out of the street, into your yard, by 9pm of your collection day.
- Place all refuse in the container - refuse piled on the ground around the container will not be picked up.
- Recycle! Find out how.
- If you see illegal dumping in progress, call 911
- Report trash violations (not in progress), to the Citizens' Service Bureau at 314-622-4800 or by using the Request a Service box to the right.
What you should not do:
- Do not place the following items in the brown solid waste containers:
- Yard Waste (grass, leaves, etc.) Each alley has specially marked containers for yard waste only.
- Large Tree Limbs, Hedge or Bush Limbs - (over 3 feet in length or over 1 foot in diameter)
- Flammable Liquids
- Furniture and bulky items, auto batteries, used motor oil, tires & appliances.
- Do not move or turn the containers.
- Do not place commercial refuse in container.
- Do not pile trash on the ground around the containers. Violators will be cited.
- Do not overload containers or roll-carts. Overloaded containers/carts can damage the lift mechanism of our trucks. If overloaded, they will not be emptied until resident reduces the load.
Covered by your solid waste services fee ($11/month/unit), collected quarterly on your water bill.
What to Expect
City refuse trucks will empty dumpsters and roll-out carts on a Monday- Thursday or Tuesday-Friday schedule, depending on location. See preparation section for additional schedule details.
It is very rare that inclement weather prevents us from collecting trash. If there are any emergency changes to the trash schedule, they will be posted on our twitter feed at www.stlouis-mo.gov/streets
Additional InformationFor details on large item disposal review Bulky Pick-up and B.O.A.T. (Batteries Oil Appliances Tires Items Disposal Information)
St. Louis, Mo 63139
Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
33 comments from people like you have helped us improve this page. Keep the feedback coming!