Obtain Energy Utility Assistance
Information on where to find assistance with gas or electric bills.
On This Page
The City of St. Louis does not have a program that provides energy utility assistance to residents. However, there are many programs in the area that provide such assistance. Below are some of those programs and instructions for how to use them.
For COVID-19 related utility assistance, please see the Emergency Assistance page.
Requirements for individual programs may vary, but many ask that you meet the requirements set by the LIHEAP program:
- Be responsible for paying home heating and cooling costs
- Be a United States citizen or have been legally admitted for permanent residence
- Have $3,000 or less in bank accounts, retirement accounts, or investments
- Meet specific income guidelines that vary according to household size and fuel type
Number of Persons Monthly Income Yearly Income 1 $ 2,211 $ 26,531 2 $ 2,891 $ 34,694 3 $ 3,571 $ 42,858 4 $ 4,252 $ 51,021 5 $ 4,932 $ 59,184 6 $5,612 $ 67,348
To determine eligibility for households over six people, add an additional $128 per person per month or $1,536 per year.
For most programs, you will need to provide the following information:
- Identification (such as driver's license, state ID, social security card)
- Proof of income
- Proof of assets (bank accounts, investments)
- Most recent gas and/or electric bills
The following energy utility assistance programs are available:
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Heat Up/Cool Down St. Louis
- Cardinal Ritter Senior Services (for people over 65)
- EnergyCare (for households with seniors, ill/disabled people, or children under 5)
- Father Bob's Outreach
- Franciscan Connection (for residents in 63111, 63116 or 63118 zip codes)
- Guardian Angel Settlement Association
- New Life Evangelistic Center
- Jewish Federation of St. Louis (for Jewish households)
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- People's Community Action Corporation (for those who are at or below 125% poverty level)
What to Expect
Varies by program. Some programs require a $25 payment from you, which they will match and/or double.
For information on additional resources, contact:
- St. Louis Urban League: 314-615-3600
- United Way: 211 from a cell or 1-800-427-4626 from a landline