Homer G. Phillips Hospital - City Landmark #115The building, at 2601-15 Whittier, is the result of a long, hard-fought battle to get funding for a new hospital for the black community, in a segregated St. Louis. Leading the charge for this new hospital was Homer G. Phillips, for whom the hospital was later named. Construction on the building began in 1932, a year after Phillips' still unsolved murder. The seven-story hospital, designed by City Architect Albert A. Osburg, was built in an extended H-plan with Art Deco detailing. The hospital served the African-American community in St. Louis and trained numerous doctors and nurses over the 42 it remained open. In 1979, service was reduced to out-patient and emergency services only. The hospital was designated a City Landmark in 1980 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. In 2000, renovation of the building began, and in 2003 it reopened as the Homer G. Phillips Dignity House/Senior Living Community.
Feedback is anonymous.