Central Baptist Church - City Landmark #132
An excellent example of Mid-Century architecture, the Central Baptist Church, 2842 Washington Blvd., was constructed in 1975, after a fire destroyed the previous church. The lead architect, William E. Lee, a church member, was one of the first African-American architects to be a corporate member of the American Institute of Architects (AIA). The final plans were signed by Alvah Paul Breitweiser.
Central Baptist Church represents the City of St. Louis' cultural heritage as a prominent Black Baptist church long engaged in social justice programs. Founded in 1846, during the days of slavery, serving 175 years as the spiritual home of thousands, supporting education and civil rights causes, and working to improve its neighborhood, Central Baptist Church has long been a respected and influential component of St. Louis' religious and social heritage.