Tillie's Corner - City Landmark #128
Located at 1345-55 N. Garrison, the property is dedicated to the preservation and promotion of local history. The new Butterfly Home, erected in 2014, houses the Alexanders and will provide office space for Tillie's Corner. It will also serve as a memorial for the original Tillie's Corner, which held a grocery store, Tillie's Food Shop, owned and operated by Carla P. Alexander's grandmother, Lillie V. "Granny" Pearson. Mrs. Pearson was well known throughout the community as "Miss Tillie." Her grocery store was the mainstay of the former building complex called "Tillie's Corner," situated at the southwest corner of N. Garrison and Sheridan Avenues. Tillie's Corner was –and remains today –an important part of the local African-American community. Ordinance 69935 - effective February 2015.