Board of Public Service Permits
Information and applications for permits from the Board of Public Service
Powers and Duties
Article XIII Section 5 of the City Charter empowers the Board of Public Service:
- To issue permits for the use of public places. To grant permits to occupy or use portions of any public grounds, highways, streets, alleys, or other public places consistent with the public use thereof and not inconsistent with any law or general ordinance.
- To grant permits for private businesses as provided by general ordinance.
- To accept or reject grants or dedications, absolute or conditional, of highways, streets, boulevards, parkways, alleys, or other property for any public use.
- To review property boundary changes. To review and approve any addition or subdivision, or any plat map attached to any deed, prior to being recorded in the Recorder's Office.
- To control and conduct any and all engineering, construction, and reconstruction work undertaken by the City and to supervise all such work in which the City is interested.
Property Boundary Changes
The Board of Public Service authorizes any proposed property modifications, including Subdivisions, Boundary Adjustments and Lot Consolidations
Other Types of Permits
Related permits not issued by BPS include:
Town Home Fee Simple Conversion Permit
A Townhome Fee Simple Conversion Permit is for applicants attempting to subdivide a parcel in which a building will be located over the proposed property boundary. A Townhome Fee Simple Conversion Permit guarantees the building is effectively two connected standalone structures. Thus, if one side of the building sustains severe fire or other structural damage, the other remaining side would not be subject to becoming condemned. Interested applicants may contact:
Department of Public Safety - Building Division
Room 425 City Hall
Monday-Friday, 9:00 am-3:00 pm
Residential and commercial construction requires a building permit issued by the Building Division - Permit Section.
Special Event Permit
A special event permit authorizes the use of public spaces for large events that take place in the City right-of-way or on public property. Special event permits are issued by the Board of Public Service, Office of Special Events.
Block Party Permit
A block party permit is for parties on RESIDENTIAL streets, hosted by a block resident, for a social gathering of residents who live on the block.
Private Event in City Park
For private events in a City Park, contact the Parks Division.