Effective January 1, 2022 the natural resources charge included on all quarterly water billings is scheduled to increase. All billings after January 1, 2022 will be billed at the new rate. Water Utilities collect this fee on behalf of the State of Missouri.
The natural resources charge was established in 1992 to provide dedicated funding to support the Missouri Department of Natural Resource’s efforts to ensure adequate water that is safe to drink. This user fee is paid by the customers of Missouri’s public water supply systems and is set by state law.
The fees currently bring in approximately $4.9 million per year with the new fee structure expected to bring in $6.4 million in new revenue. The benefits of the natural resources charge to public water systems include:
- Laboratory testing services provided by the state.
- Reduced monitoring commensurate to contamination risk, based on vulnerability assessments provided by the Department of Natural Resources.
- Water system inspections and compliance oversight provided by the department to satisfy federal requirements.
- Technical assistance from the department to help maintain and achieve compliance and improved customer satisfaction.
- Access to low-interest loans for capital improvements from the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund.
- Additional operator training opportunities funded by the state revolving fund.
Collecting the natural resources fee has saved Missouri public water systems, and the customers of public water systems, about $6.5 million per year. If Missouri water systems were required to pay for their own testing, it would cost more than $15 million over three years because of increased monitoring under federal regulations than under state regulations. The costs of the increased monitoring would inevitably affect customer water bills.
More Information can be found at Public Drinking Water Fee Structure Changes.
|Meter Size||Current Quarterly Rate
(Through December 31, 2021)
|New Quarterly Rate January 1, 2022|
|All Flat Rate Accounts||$0.33||$1.05|
|1” or less||$0.33||$1.05|
|1 ½” and 2”||$1.86||$5.25|
|3” and 4”||$10.29||$25.50|
|Greater than 4”||$20.61||$49.50|