Merchandise Mart Building - City Landmark #110
Designed by Isaac Taylor in 1888, the Merchandise Mart building takes up an entire block on the north and west side of the 1000 block of Washington Ave. The first three floors are treated as one order, although the third floor material is brick, while the first two are rusticated stone. The central eight bays on both the front and rear are topped with round arches, and four bays on the side are topped with terra cotta lintels. The top four floors are treated together as one order, and repeat the arches in cast iron. The top floor is framed by pilasters and topped with a basket weave brick pattern and a terra cotta cornice.