All food trucks and trailers that do business inside the geographical boundaries of the City of St. Louis must obtain a permit. This includes trucks and trailers that:
- do business on St. Louis City public streets;
- do business inside a City park;
- do business at Special Events;
- do business at One-Day Events;
- do business on Private Property;
- intend to operate anywhere inside the St. Louis City Limits under a temporary Health Department Permit.
All food trucks and trailers are required to register with and be inspected by the Building Division, Fire Safety Unit.
Before applying for a permit, mobile vendors must:
- Obtain a vending / business license with the City of St. Louis License Collector's office.
- Obtain a fire safety certification from the Buidling Division, Fire Safety Unit or renew the annual registration online.
- Review the mandatory Fire Safety Unit registration and inspection documents and have all materials ready before starting the online process. Your work cannot be saved.
- Pass a health inspection
Individuals applying for a mobile vendor permit must contact the Street Deparment to begin the application process.
To obtain a permit from the Street Department applicants must provide the following:
- Completed motorized food truck vending permit application
- Copy of city of st. Louis business/vending license
- Copy of city of st. Louis health department permit
- Copy of city of st. Louis building division registration liability insurance – certificate of insurance that shall indemnify and hold harmless the City of St. Louis. The City must be named as additional insured on the certificate.
- Proof of vehicle insurance
- Proof of vehicle license and registration
- Photo of the motorized food truck
- Full face photographs of the applicant and any employees
- Signed copy of the rules & regulations
- Payment of the $500.00/annual or $125.00/quarterly permit fee in cash, check, cashier’s check or money order made out to: City of St. Louis.
- Various fees from various departments may apply.
- Street Department food truck permit fee is $500.00/annual (or $125.00/quarterly) cash, check, cashier’s check or money order made out to: City of St. Louis. No starter checks.
What to Expect
You will obtain a permit to operate a food truck in the City after you provide proof of a vending/ business license, current health inspection, show a fire safety certification from the building division, and submitted the application with the Street Division.
Stationary Sidewalk Vendor permits
Stationary Sidewalk Vendor permits are issued by the Parks Department.
1 comment from someone like you has helped us improve this page. Keep the feedback coming!